Thursday, February 4, 2016

Kat Von D | Lock-It Foundation Review

Hello there!

Today I'll be reviewing Kat Von D's Lock-It Foundation! You can find this baby at Sephora for $35. Let's get right into it!

This Foundation claims to...

Full Coverage
24-Hour Wear - Holy Crap
Transfer Resistant
Matte Finish

It is also...
Fragrance Free
Oil Free

I have to admit, I was never truly interested in trying out this foundation. The colors ran a little too light for me. And if I'm to be 100% honest, for the price, I was willing to spend my money on something else. Especially since I get the same promises from Estee Lauder's Double Wear Foundation that matches me perfectly. Definitely a holy grail product for me. However, my last trip to Sephora left me running to the counter to buy this.





I was walking all around the store with the Beauty Blender Pro in my hand. Sidenote - I've been on a Beauty Blender high right now. I've grabbed almost EVERY BB that I can find. After the fourth time around the store, I just so-happened to look down at a display next to the Anastasia BH stand and noticed this little display with BB Pros and Kat Von D! 

Sephora has/had a sale going on where you can buy the Lock-It Foundation AND the Beauty Blender Pro (the black one) for $46! Amazing, right? The Beauty Blender Pro is $20 alone while the KVD Foundation is $35, so you're getting quite the discount, in my opinion. So... naturally, I grabbed it!

Cute packaging, right? Way to go, KVD and BB!
You can just pop your shade in the slot beside the Beauty Blender and go on about your business.

Without Flash - Natural Light


With Flash


Okay... So...

First things first: the foundation is just a touch too light for me. However, the shade up from this one was MUCH too yellow. So I may have to blend in some other shades to get my ideal color. Like I said before, I think this line runs on the lighter side anyway.

It has a pump, ladies and gentlemen... Thank GAWD. A lot, if not most, of my foundations do not have pumps. I can't tell you how annoying that is for me. One, because I often pour too much or the foundation gets everywhere. Two, because I'm too cheap to buy my own pumps. Three, it's the principle! Why would I pay extra for something that should just come with it!? Rant over.

I enjoyed the consistency-it's not too thick, not too runny. I assumed that one pump would be good enough to cover half of my face. However, I did not get the full coverage look that I was looking for, and that it promised. I applied the foundation with the beauty blender. With one coat, I could still see a lot of my redness and my freckles. The photos below were taken after I applied the foundation twice. I can't say that it's too buildable because, as you can see, it looked a little cakey and bunched up quite a bit on me around my nose. Granted, I used some MAC's Studio Fix powder to balance out my skin tone since the foundation was too light for me. I won't let that be an excuse, though.

As for the foundation's claims of being long-wearing (24 hours), the foundation remained on my face all day long (a total of 12 hours). I used Smashbox's Primer Water, Stila's One Step Correct, and Make Up Forever's Step 1 Skin Equalizer Smoothing Primer. That may have something to do with it lol.

The foundation did NOT transfer at all...once it was completely set. If you're interested in this foundation, you've got to grant it enough time to set. It's not like Double Wear where you've got to work pretty fast before it sets. I'd say it was completely set within 10-15 minutes.

It's definitely a matte finish, no doubt. Minus my natural oil coming through around my nose area.

It keeps it's promise of not having a fragrance either, in my opinion.

I'll let you be the judge of the photos below...

Me Being Extra in Natural Light

Tip
If a foundation is too light for you and you don't have another foundation to balance it out...
Blend all the way down to your neck and on the ears. 
Then, use your contour/bronzer to warm up/darken the face to match a little better. 




Overall, it's not a terrible foundation...but it didn't work for me. I'm definitely sad because I wanted to love it. The shades run too light, and some are way too yellow-based. I also don't like the cakey look on my face, and maybe that might be me... but if you promise me a full coverage foundation, I shouldn't have to build it to that point. It should just happen, right? Yeah.

I like that it has a matte finish, it is long-wearing, and transfer resistant. I always love a foundation that doesn't end up on my clothes or my hands. I rub my nose a lot.

Have you tried the foundation? 
How do you feel about it?

What other products would you like for me to review?

xoxo

P. S. Here are the products I used for my look...
Not Pictured: Ardell Glamour Wispies Lashes



Blog design by Bella Lulu Ink