Monday, March 30, 2015

Raise The Volume with Yves Saint Laurent | Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils


Hey boo!

I am so excited to review this product. As you know, I am a mascara freak. I'm normally partial to drugstore mascaras because of, obviously, the price point, but also because they get the job done. Most of the time the job is done a lot better than most high-end mascaras. On the other hand, there are a few exceptions like Too Faced's Better Than Sex mascara and Lancome's Hypnose Drama mascara. I loved them both. I'm interested in Diorshow's Iconic Overcurl mascara too. I've heard great things about it.

On a normal day, I bounce back and forth between Rimmel's Lash Accelerator, CoverGirl Lash Bloom, and Physician's Formula's Jumbo Lash mascara. Sometimes I wear all three at the same time to get the effect I want. Do you double or triple up on mascaras to get your desired effect? I want full, thick lashes that are long enough to be seen over my eyeliner. Pet peeve: Winged liner with NO lashes in sight. 

I love falsies, but they can be so irritating and damaging to my lids and natural lashes. I have been on the hunt since my makeup addiction began for that one perfect mascara that gives volume and lengthens exactly the way I want it.

Influenster was kind enough to send me a product that promises to be exactly what I'm looking for...

Yves Saint Laurent
$32

"New, improved formula does not dry out. The best gets even better, the original false lash effect mascara, now with an all new Lash Care formula. Achieve absolute dramatic lashes in a single stroke for eyes that instantly pop. Its secret is the Triple-Intensity Formula: intense volume, intense color and now intense care. The nylon fiber brush coats each lash in deep color and maximum volume from root to tip, while B5 Pro-Vitamin strengthens and protects lashes. Available in 6 signature YSL shades to compliment eye color or to create a customized look."


My instant reaction to getting this mascara was obviously excitement. I've only bought one YSL mascara, and that was the Babydoll mascara. I remember watching one of Casey Holmes' videos over a year ago and she raved about it. When I saw her apply it for the first time, I had to have it. Well... $30 later it was all mine!

In true YSL fashion, the packaging is gold-plated, shiny, and almost completely written in French. I love that about it. It makes me feel like I have purchased something special. Something so luxurious and elegant really belongs on my vanity just to look beautiful. :)


The brush is pretty standard, which is also a plus for me. My goal is length and volume. If the bristles were stiff and separated, it would give the lashes a more fanned-out and separated look. Although, I was a little worried that the mascara would clump up on my lashes when I applied it because it looked so clumpy on the brush. 

This may be weird, but I smell a lot of the products that I get and this mascara smells great! There are a lot of products that have off-putting smells, and most of the time if they smell off, they don't go on my face. So, having a product that smells good is a plus too!


I'm satisfied with how the mascara applied and how my lashes look after the first two coats. There was some slight clumping. I would like a more separated look, but from far away, it looks fine to me. I love the length the mascara gives too. It looked great with my eyeliner. Two coats at the most will do for this mascara. I tried to apply three coats a few times before and it became a clumpy, spidery mess.

The mascara lasts all day without flaking or breaking off. I noticed some slight smudging on my bottom lashes at the end of the day. That's pretty normal for me. My lids can be pretty oily and they tend to water when I have contacts in. I also noticed that I lost some of the curl in my lashes at the end of the day. That wasn't okay. Although I have been testing this mascara without the help of a lash curler, so I'm sure the curler would give my lashes that long-lasting curl.

Two coats without a Lash Curler
Sorry about my freckles and lack of concealer under the eyes!
Just brows and mascara on! :)


After a few days, the mascara dried out a little bit and I've been able to get much more volume without the clumps. I took a photo with my phone the other day since I didn't have my camera with me. What do you think? Notice a difference?




Would I buy this mascara? Sure! Once the mascara dried out a little bit, I was able to achieve the effect that I wanted. Have you tried YSL's Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils? What do you think?

Want to test amazing products for free?
Visit Influenster, and sign up!
 

Talk to you soon!
xo



I received these products complimentary from Influenster for testing purposes.